May 1, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I'd Like To See Made Into A Movie

I usually cringe when I see movies made of books I love, but there are a few that I wouldn't mind seeing on the big screen.  
SMBC
I'd still go all hipster on them when they came out with my endless proclamations of having read the book already, but here are my

Top Ten Books I'd Like To See Made Into A Movie

1. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs
The Tim Burton-ness of this book is just screaming to be made into a movie, but the photographs included in the book are so strong that it could diminish the work if they weren't replicated well enough.

2. The Name of the Star, by Maureen Johnson
The Jack the Ripper plot would be great onscreen and the movie would probably do well because as the book itself addresses, people are obsessed with the sensation that is Jack the Ripper.

3. Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself, by Judy Blume
It's my favorite Blume book and I think she's a character with whom many young children with overactive imaginations can connect. 

4. Catching Fire, by Suzanne Collins
Duh.

5. Feed, by M.T. Anderson
While I wasn't a huge fan of this book, I think it's got an extremely relevant topic (newsfeeds controlling us and choosing virtual over actual conversations) and would translate really well to the big screen.

6. 13 Reasons Why, by Jay Asher
This one is intense and the acting would have to be perfect to pull off.  But I think it would be haunting to hear the casette tapes played.

7. Ender's Shadow, by Orson Scott Card
This one is tough.  It is actually being made into a movie starring the boy from Hugo, but it'll be difficult to get everything in there, especially because Ender is pretty much a fetus for a good chunk of the book.

8. Fifteen, by Beverly Cleary
This story is atrocious, but a great historical look at how times have changed since this book was published.  If this were made into a movie, with no changes, it would have a sort of Pleasantville vibe to it which would be interesting.

9. The Knife of Never Letting Go, by Patrick Ness
Even though I hated the rest of the series, this dystopian novel is great.  While I love females as the leads in these type of books, the male lead in this one evens out the playing field a tiny bit (but not really, because Katniss would destroy him in 5 seconds) and there's a female that's with him on his journey.

10. How I Paid for College, by Marc Acito
This book is hilarious and speaks well to those high school students about to (maybe) leave home for college and deal with adult burdens like money.  It would be a good summer flick to help them take their minds off of the stress for just a moment.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, you picked a Beverly Cleary book I'd never read. And here I thought I'd gotten to them all. :)

    Fun list! FYI: your link is broken over in The Broke and the Bookish's linky widget. I was able to delete out the bad link text, but there'll probably be people who don't figure that out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up about the link!

      The Beverly Cleary book is...interesting. It was written in the 50's so it's got some surprising race discussion in there. Surprising in the sense that I wasn't expecting it, but not so surprising given the time period. It's worth reading just to compare it to today though!

      Delete
  2. Oh no, you hated the rest of the Chaos Walking series? I really enjoyed the first one and had it on my movie list too, but I haven't gotten a chance to read the rest. Feed would be a great movie and I almost put The Name of the Star on my list. Nice picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I'm not sure what it was about C.W. but I only loved the first one.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry you hated the rest of the Chaos Walking trilogy! :( I think the whole series would make for a great movie with the right team.

    Alison at The Cheap Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the first one! Not sure what it was about the others. Oh well. It would make for a good movie/movie series though.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of Miss Peregrine, but have seen it on so many lists recently, I'm putting it on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Peregrine is fantastic. I reviewed it here if you're interested. =)

      Delete
  5. The Name of the Star is a good one. I loved that book and think it would translate well to film.

    My list http://engelsigh.blogspot.com/2012/05/top-ten-tuesday-top-10-books-youd-like.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. It'd be really cool onscreen. It could make a good mini-series as well, especially as there's going to be a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think 13 Reasons Why would translate really well into film. I could see the voice overlay of the cassette on a flashback type scene.

    ReplyDelete