Dec 24, 2013

Top Ten Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Bringing Me

Remember when Harry asks Dumbledore what he sees when he looks at the Mirror of Erised? Dumbledore lies (we assume) and says that he sees himself holding thick socks, because another Christmas has come and gone with him only receiving books.  Putting aside the fact that Dumbledore should be grateful that people are purchasing him gifts with love rather than complaining, I understand how he feels.  People obviously know that I love books, but have a hard time figuring out which books I would actually want and not already own.  Regardless, I LOVE getting books (and socks too, to be fair) so here are my

Top Ten Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Bringing Me

1.  Hyperbole and a Half, by Allie Brosh


Every time she posts on her blog, my news feeds explode.  I can't wait to read this. 

2. The Long Way Home, by George Jeanty and Joss Whedon


I own every volume of Buffy Season 8 except for the first one which I can never find anywhere! I don't want to buy it from Amazon (even though I know I could), because I like supporting comic book stores.  My addiction to The Big Bang Theory contributed heavily to my feelings on the matter.

3. The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!, by Mo Willems
 

Without question, my favorite picture book of all time is Don't Let the Pigeon Ride the Bus, and this sequel is a close second.

4. Chopsticks, by Jessica Anthony and Rodrigo Corral


This graphic novel that is completely up to the reader's interpretation is so beautiful and one of my all-time favorites. 

5. The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak


I'm a bad librarian when it comes to my personal collection.  In my efforts to push my favorite books onto friends and family, I lent this copy to a friend, who then lent it to a friend, who then lent it to a friend (or possibly a frenemy) and now it's gone for good.  I really should charge late fees.

6. The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins


See above.

7. A boxed set of the Molly: American Girl series


I have the complete Samantha collection (who is my favorite) but I don't have the entire Molly set (my second favorite).  Also, earlier this year I learned that both dolls were retired and it really broke my heart.

8. Where the Wild Things Are, by Maurice Sendak


I collect picture books and for some inexplicable reason, I don't have this book.

9. Broadway Musicals, Revised and Updated: The 101 Greatest Shows of All Time, by
Frank Vlastnik and Ken Bloom


I love musicals and I would get lost in this coffee table book in a heartbeat.

10. Finishing the Hat, by Stephen Sondheim


Again, I love musicals, I love Sondheim musicals, and his interview on The Colbert Report really sealed the deal on me wanting this book.

Check out more over at The Broke and the Bookish!

And Merry Christmas! (if that's your thing)

No comments:

Post a Comment