Mar 20, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Spring TBR List

I've seen this blog meme feature thing (that is in fact the technical term, little known fact) from The Broke and the Bookish around for awhile and I love lists so I don't know why I haven't joined this before.  Jumping on the bandwagon it is!

Top Ten Books on my Spring To Be Read List:

1. Two Miserable Presidents: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About the Civil War, Steve Sheinkin
Yes I'm starting my list off with a nonfiction title.  I'm a NERD.  But I just heard about this author last night in class and his books sound amazing - they present history in a readable fashion. Humourous history. That's what I like.

2. Insurgent, Veronica Roth
I cannot wait for this book to come out.  I absolutely loved the first book in the series, Divergent, and I think I loved it more than the Hunger Games.  Yeah, I said it.  I'm just hoping that the sequel isn't a letdown because they usually are.

3. The Lying Game, Sara Shepard
I'll admit it. I thought the Pretty Little Liars series was completely ridiculous.  Of course, I loved it, or at least the 5 books that I've read so far.  So I want to try out Shepard's other series that she has going on to see if there's more hilarity to be found.

4. Insatiable, Meg Cabot.
It's been described to me as a book that makes fun of Twilight.  That's the only reason I need.

5. Madame Bovary, Gustave Flaubert
I own it, I've never read it, it's mentioned all the time.  I'd like to understand the references.  Ergo, I will read it.

6. Bunheads, Sophie Flack
I don't like ballet. I don't like doing it, I don't like watching it.  But there is always excellent drama/humor when it's used for plot purposes, so when I saw this on the new fiction shelf at my library, I immediately wanted to read it. 

7. Briar Rose, Jane Yolen
I'm all about fractured fairy tales and using well-known stories to tell new ones.  I just picked up a used copy of this book last week and I'm excited to finally read it.

8. Changeling, Philippa Gregory
Despite how the covers all look like cheap romance novels, I really enjoyed The Other Boleyn Girl, and other books in the Tudor series, so I think I'll try this new series out too.  Yeah, I tend to like series if that wasn't obvious.

9. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Mark Haddon.
Another book people talk about all the time that I've yet to read.   It's on The List.  It's also another book crammed into my bookshelf that I need to reorganize into read and not-read sections.  Sigh.  I'm a book owning addict. 

10. The Lightning Thief, Rick Riordan
Seriously, I need to catch up on my series-reading.  This one is also on The List so it'll accomplish two things at once.  Plus, I love mythology so I already know that I'll love this series. 

11 comments:

  1. I'm with you on Divergent. I won't say it's better than HG, I just enjoyed it more.

    I think the second book is really going to determine whether this is an AMAZING series or just a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! I really can't wait for it to come out. I have it on hold at the library so I have to wait longer, only because my OCD with my bookshelf will prevent me from by a hardcover Insurgent when I have a paperback Divergent. =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Divergent so I hope Insurgent is just as good. I can't wait to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two Miserable Presidents sounds awesome! I've been on a Civil War kick recently - much search this one out.

    Madame Bovary is...depressing. Not quite so much as Tess of the D'Ubervilles, but not a bucket of fun either. That said, I can't make it through Tess so maybe it all turns out roses, rainbows and unicorns in the end. Who knows? (Don't tell me any different.)

    Great list. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. New follower! I love finding other future librarians!! Curious Incident is a really great book! Here is my Top Ten if you'd like to check it out and follow back:http://theonceandfuturelibrarian.blogspot.com/2012/03/top-ten-tuesday-spring-break-reading.html. I'm also hosting a giveaway if you'd like to check that out while you're there...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome choices! I'm excited to read Insurgent one day soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't get to reading The Lightning Thief until a few months ago, so you'e not alone in people who waited to read it. :) Also Philippa Greory's WideAcre series was a guilty pleasure of mine in college. (I still blush when I say that)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Percy Series. I read the Lightening Thief and the rest of the series like 3 years ago. It's soooo good! Riordan also started another series that intertwines with the Percy books. Also awesome. I have all of them when you want to start reading. You're soooo behind.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! You know that is the other blog I write for, right? Welcome aboard :)

    ReplyDelete