Oct 24, 2012

Hitting Pause

I have a problem.  No matter how much I dislike something, I feel an obligation to see it through to the end.  Sometimes that's a good thing.  I would have quit marching band in college had I not felt the pull of obligation to complete my first season and eventually all four.  I would have missed out on a lot of amazing experiences had I quit.

But I have the same problem with books. I might hate something, but I can't just let it go and not finish.  What if it gets good? It's even worse when the book is part of a series.  What if to truly appreciate the first book, I need to read the whole series?

I recently stated that I didn't like the beginning of The Casual Vacancy (though I think now that I'm familiar with the characters, I would love it), and pushed through because I love Rowling.  I DESPISED (and still do) the beginnings of both The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, but then went on to love the books as a whole.  I always think of these books when I'm reading a book that bores me to tears. 

But now I'm wondering if and when there's an appropriate time to stop reading a book.  Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. You're a fascist. those are my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're the sort of person who wonders whether the light stays on in the fridge when you close the door! Unfortunately I'm the same and I find it difficult to stop reading a book once I've started it. Partly it's down to respect for the Author who has taken the trouble to write the book, so it is only fair that I do the Author the honour of finishing it! However I haven't gone so far as you in reading further books in the same series if I find I haven't enjoyed the first book! Great blog by the way, I always enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete