Nov 30, 2012

Friday Five: Books to Give as Gifts this Holiday Season!

Unless you're Dumbledore, what's a better present than a book? Okay, I'm sure this kid disagrees



but others may enjoy a great book as a gift.  A past professor of mine used to give picture books to her friends and family as gifts, and I think that's a great idea.  For starters, classic picture books are beloved and will bring a smile out of even the biggest Scrooge.  Most everyone gets excited when they see Where the Wild Things Are in someone's home.  Also, picture books are pricey.  Not that price is an indicator of a perfect gift (it most certainly is not), but price definitely keeps people (me) from going out and buying all these amazing books when they can't pretend they're buying them for a child.  Even though that's what libraries are for, it's nice to own picture books.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

So here are five potential picture books to hand out - to adults and/or children - this holiday season!

1. The Way Things Work, by David Macaulay and Neil Ardley

 

A lengthy informational picture book, this book completely captivates children (and adults) with detailed, fun diagrams of how things work, from the simple parts to the full complex machines.  It screams out coffee table book to me every time I see it in a store, but I don't have a coffee table (or a living room).  That won't stop me from giving it to someone else though.

2. The Invention of Hugo Cabret, by Brian Selznick


I might have made it my unofficial mission to get everyone I know and love to read this book.  I'm stretching the term "picture book" for this entry.  It's one of those books that is its own genres.  Is it a novel, graphic novel, or super long picture book?  Regardless, pairing the book with the amazing film adaptation (really, it's one of the few books into movies that I love) would be a great gift.

3. Where the Wild Things Are, by Maurice Sendak


Like I said above, almost everyone geeks out in a fit of nostalgia for their wild ways of the past.

4. Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, by Mo Willems


Like number 2 on this list, I've spread the Pigeon books all over the place and I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't find the Pigeon completely endearing and hilarious.  From kindergartners to law partners, everyone loves this guy.

5. A Light in the Attic, by Shel Silverstein


There are three kinds of people: People who like poetry, people who pretend to like poetry, and people who openly hate it.  All three love Silverstein (in my imagination).  These poems are silly, imaginative and can cheer up anyone.  Who could say no to this as a gift?  The kid in the video, that's who.

No comments:

Post a Comment