Apr 21, 2011

Marian the Librarian

This is the best musical number set in a library (that I know of at least).  I once gained the respect of my team at library themed trivia (yep) for knowing that Harold Hill threatens to drop marbles on the floor of Marian's library. 


For a long time I hated listening to this song because it brought back the painful memories of performing this during my junior year of high school.  And not just your average teenage "why-does-everyone-hate-me/nobody-understands-what-I'm-going-through" angsty type painful memories of high school.  I'm talking literal pain. 

In the dance sequence, a guy holding a pile of books falls off a table and a group of girls catches him.  Because of my obvious brute strength (sarcasm hand), I was in this group of catchers.  The fall worked flawlessly the first few times we rehearsed, but then one wrong turn resulted in him falling diagonally and landing on my head.  After that, my glasses were significantly bent with one ear piece not quite touching my ear anymore (it's hilariously obvious in the few pictures I haven't burned from that time in my life).  They stayed like that for a year because I didn't want to ask my parents to spend money on new ones.  It was not a good time.  Plus, you know, my head hurt.  A lot. 

But it's 7 years later, I have new glasses and my head only hurts when it rains, so now I can embrace this song for the awesomeness that it is, even if it does perpetuate the idea of the shhhshing librarian who only stamps books.  Now it just makes me want to dance in a library.  Who's with me? 

I want to go to there.

No comments:

Post a Comment